Remember the days when wearing jerseys to everyday places was a thing? People would wear them to school, religious institutions, the mall, the under-21 dance club (you couldn’t handle my Indiana Pacers Jalen Rose jersey)…wherever! This time period was also associated with probably the height of music videos. If you go back to the 90s/early 00s, you’re going to see some killer jerseys worn by the artists. Check out some of the iconic jerseys that I remember from my formative years while memorizing the lyrics to Country Grammar.
5. Clipse – Grindin’
Pusha T & the artist formerly known as Malice (now No Malice) were part of a group called Clipse from the early 00’s. Grindin’ came out in 2002 and the infectious Neptunes produced beat has been in my head ever since.
The jerseys in this video are a bit all over the place but you’ve got some high quality unis here from the leads. Pusha repping his hometown with a Virginia Squires Dr. J jersey and No Malice with the number 10 Nate “Tiny” Archibald uniform. What I love about these are they are a bit more obscure than other jerseys on this list. The Thornton brothers did their basketball history research and dug deep in their closets for those bad boys.
Special shout out to the Jerry Stackhouse Pistons jersey that makes a few quick appearances!
4. Cam’ron – Oh Boy
Comin’ at ya live from Harlem we have Cam’Ron and Juelz Santana checking in at #4 with Oh Boy. Cam’Ron is someone who always is concerned with his fashion and style so you know he had to be color coordinated with Santana. The red, white, and blue theme with the Bullets Wes Unseld jersey and the Lamar Odom Clippers jersey are good starts. However, there is one thing that stands out and I’m sorry to say, it’s not a jersey. It’s the amazing NBA team jackets that Cam & Juelz are sporting in the video still above.
When these jackets first came out, I thought they would have a longer shelf life than they did. They were really hot for a few months but I remember going into a Champs Sports and seeing them on sale a lot sooner than I should have. R.I.P. all NBA team leather jackets. You had a short but well deserved run.
3. Jermaine Dupri (and others) – Welcome to Atlanta Remix
This video has so many jerseys checking in from so many regions, it’s hard to choose precisely why I like this so much…No it’s not. The reasons are clear as day. Let’s discuss:
- The St. Lunatics were a special group back in the early 00s. With Nelly at the forefront, this group just kept putting out banger after banger. They also repped their city so hard with every video they recorded. This video is no different, there are enough of them to field an entire Cardinals lineup.
- They also rep so many different types of St. Louis jerseys here. You’ve got Murphy Lee with a Moses Malone Spirit of St. Louis jersey. There’s Nelly wearing a Fred Brathwaite jersey and Fred Brathwaite wearing a Fred Brathwaite jersey. Ali is wearing one Cardinals jersey frontwards and one backwards bearing his name.
- However, the BEST part of this video is the appearance of one man. That man is Fernando Viña. I remember watching this video for the first time when I was 14 thinking why Fernando Viña? Now here I am watching this video about 20 years later, asking the same question. But he absolutely MAKES this video. I love the blue jeans, black shirt underneath his jersey, and his glorious goatee. Thank you St. Lunatics for inviting Fernando into this video.
2. Snoop Dogg – Gin & Juice
Haters will say this one doesn’t belong on this list.
Only the real ones will respect Snoop’s choice in hockey jersey. That’s right, we got the black Pens jersey from the early 90s with Pittsburgh written diagonally. He even got himself a custom jersey with his name on the back to show how committed he is to Pittsburgh sports. Snoop’s Pittsburgh fandom is why he will always hold a special part in Yinzer’s hearts. However, If he were a true fan, he would have gotten himself a Mario/Jagr mullet to go along with his excellent choice in uniform.
1. Fabolous (ft. Diddy & Jagged Edge) – Trade it All Part 2
I’m going to be honest, I’m heavily biased towards Fabolous as I think he’s one of the greatest MCs of all time. That’s a conversation for another post, though. However, the jersey game in this video is bar none. There are three reasons why this is my number 1 choice. You can’t disagree with these arguments, they’re facts.
- Fab’s love interest’s Willis Reed jersey dress. I hope jersey dresses come back one day. They unfortunately were also short lived like the basketball jackets from above. R.I.P. jersey dresses.
- The guy from Jagged Edge’s Vancouver Grizzlies jersey. I can’t tell which player it is but everything about the Vancouver Grizzlies was amazing. The color scheme, the logo, Bryant Reeves, everything. Vancouver needs to bring them back, I’ll be the first one to sign the petition to remove them from Memphis.
- The kicker is obviously Fab’s throwback #8 Kobe Bryant jersey. The whole get up is matching head to toe. Fab’s jersey/throwback game was unparalleled in a genre littered with athletic wear. He pulled off each jersey effortlessly while always matching and managing to keep a theme (Can’t Deny It, with honorable mention). He even made a song called Throwback. The man is truly dedicated to the jersey game.
Congrats to all the artists who made this list. But the hero of this post is obviously Fernando Viña. You’re the real MVP.
- / 1 year ago
To me, Rachel Nichols is the personification of posting a black square on Instagram.