I’m a slave to the NFL and the NFL Draft. I know it makes no sense to get excited to watch some young 20-somethings walk across a stage, bro-hug the commissioner, and be set up financial for the rest of their life while I wonder if I can afford to order Jimmy Johns for dinner. But I do. And I do it every year.
Do I care about the NBA draft? Nope. The MLB? No sir. But tell me I get to sit on the couch, tweet about NFL teams drafting kids to go play a game and I am absolutely in.
Before we get into any reactions to the top ten picks, I have to shout out all the fans attending the draft this year. The booing of Roger Goodell was absolutely amazing. It was nonstop and completely ruthless. Just what the dear leader deserves at the NFL draft. Now, to the first overall pick:
— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 27, 2018
- The Browns and John Dorsey put their necks on the line and went QB Baker Mayfield over Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. An interesting move and something that most of their fans definitely were not ready for. I didn’t think Cleveland had the guts to pull the trigger on Baker since he draws so many comparisons to Johnny Manziel, and that didn’t work out for them. Baker is pretty much Manziel with more pocket presence and better breakaway speed from the police. Only time will tell, but if Baker works out that Cleveland offense looks pretty good on paper.
- The Giants getting Saqon to jumpstart their run game instead of a QB means they’re focusing on the immediate future with Eli and aren’t ready to plan for a rebuild just yet. So at least we know we’ll get a lot more Eli face in the coming years. Cherish it folks, because we only have so many left.
- Jets fans are mad about the organization picking Sam Darnold because the Jets don’t have the best track record when it comes to drafting a QB (or anyone else). And I get why Sam is a scary pick since the organization is betting on the same horse again (they tried the savior QB from USC before with the Sanchize). But unlike Baker with the Browns, I think Darnold is a smart, safe pick. And that is hard for me to say as a Patriots fan. Just check out how Darnold compares to others in the 2018 QB class like Josh Rosen, who was still on the board when Darnold was picked:
Not bad, right? So chin up Jets fans. I think this will work out for you.
- How on earth do the Browns pass on Chubb (DE) for Denzel (CB)? I don’t have anything else to add other than that was what we in the biz call a mistake. Chubb is going to be an immediate impact player (#jargon) and I can’t imagine Denzel is going to have the same type of impact for Cleveland.
- The Broncos getting Chubb makes that defense scary. The offensive linemen in that division frantically are texting their teammates right now trying to figure out a game plan that might slow down Von Miller and Chubb. Oh, and don’t forget about Demarcus Ware and Derek Wolfe too. Have fun with that fellas.
- The Colts finally drafted an offensive lineman instead of a skill player! They finally realized Andrew Luck can’t get hit every other down. In 2017 the Colts allowed their QB to be sacked on more than 10% of passing plays. Ten percent! You have to wonder if the organization was punishing Luck until he agreed to shave that awful neck beard.
- It makes me really sad to watch teams in the AFC East not named the Patriots in the AFC East make smart moves in the NFL Draft. And it looks like the Bills are joining that club by drafting Josh Rosen. Is he going to be Carson Wentz? Nope. But he will definitely be better than Nathan “every other pass is an INT” Peterman…wait, what? They drafted Josh Allen? Whoops! Classic Bills. Looks like the Bills are totally ok with his Tweets. And his terrible stats. But at least he loves wings! So he has that going for him. Good luck with that Bills Mafia.
- Roquan Smith to the Bears is a good pick and I’m sticking with that scorching hot take. He brings a hard nosed element to the interior of the Bears defense that was demolished last year to the tune of 287.4 yard per game. Bringing in the LB that finished with 137 total tackles for Georgia last year is a great way to fix that.
- The 49ers don’t make an “exciting” pick and take OL Mike McGlinchey. Why pick McGlinchey? Because of this guy:
God damn it he’s handsome.
- The year of the QB! The Cardinals mess around and pick Josh Rosen at ten. By doing so they land their potential QB of the future. Arizona has to feel pretty good about getting Allen at number ten and the fourth QB overall since Allen was projected as a potential number one overall pick as recently as this week. And based on his post pick interview, he’s #motivated, which is always a plus.Fun fact, the pick of Rosen at ten makes this the first NFL Draft that featured four quarterbacks being selected in the top ten. We’re experiencing history together, everyone! Enjoy the rest of the draft and Go Pats.
- / 1 day ago
The EPL season is about to hit its final stretch.