This is the Turf’s take on college football power rankings, and it is going to be a bit different for at least a couple of weeks. We are going to differ from rankings like the AP and Coaches Polls, that are allowing votes for Big Ten and Pac-12 schools that will not play a game for a while. We will only rank teams that play, because if COVID-19 ends football this year, we would like to honor the players and staff that did give the most effort in these questionable times.
Welcome to Week 7, and thus Week 3 of The Turf’s rankings. Week 6 brought us some action. Jimbo Fisher getting his first big win against a top 5 program while going 8-1 all time against the Florida Gators. Georgia flexed it’s muscle against Tennessee. Clemson had it’s first significant test of the season against Miami and they slowed down what appeared to be at a Cat 3 Hurricane and increasing in strength.
We have some new schools to enter the polls and we welcome them with open arms…. Until the other Conferences come back and then it’s hasta la vista baby.
We have considerable movement this week. Check out last week’s rankings to compare.
- Clemson University Tigers 4-0 (Pre #1), College football king until Trevor and Dabo go to the NFL.
- University of Alabama Crimson Tide 3-0 (Pre. #2), Saban could miss the game due to Covid-19 test, but the Tide is still tough.
- University Of Georgia Bulldogs 3-0 (Pre.#3), Very strong showing against Tennessee Volunteers. Good SEC east win.
- Notre Dame 3-0 (Pre.#5), They didn’t beat FSU by 20 but they had a sturdy performance.
- University of North Carolina Tarheels 3-0 (Pre.#7), The Tarheels broke out a big lead and then squandered it. However, they gutted out a thrillig win over the Virginia Tech Hookies. UNC’s highest ranking in 23 years. Texas wishes they had Mac Brown.
- Oklahoma State University Cowboys 3-0 (Pre. #8), Tough Cowboys team.
- University of Cincinnati Bearcats 3-0 (Pre. #9), I’m intrigued.
- BYU Cougars 4-0 (Pre. #11), I see you, Cougs.
- Texas A&M University Aggies 2-1 (Pre. #15), The Aggies have put together 2 strong performances. Jimbo Fischer gets his first win against a top 5 opponent at Texas A&M.
- University of Florida Gators 2-1 (Pre. #4), Lost a shootout against the Aggies. Like I said last week, not a playoff defense.
- University of Miami Hurricanes 2-1 (Pre. #6), After getting outclassed by Clemson, this is about where I see the Canes finishing the season.
- University of Tennessee Volunteers 2-1 (Pre. #10), Playoffs?
- SMU Mustangs 4-0 (Pre. #14), 4-0 gets you somewhere in these polls but I need you to play somebody, still.
- Iowa State Cyclones 3-1 (Pre. #17), Putting together a solid resume. That loss to the Rajun Cajuns will hurt them.
- Kansas State Wildcats 3-1 (Pre. NR), Will the Big 12 come down to Kansas State and Iowa State?
- Virginia Tech Hokies 2-1 (Pre. #12), This team has grit. Suffering from a heart-wrenching loss to North Carolina. VT was down 25, clawed back within 1 score but ultimately lost.
- NC State Wolfpack 3-1 (Pre NR), The Wolfpack only have only one loss to a strong ACC Virginia Tech team. NC State has Duke before they clash with the Tarheels.
- Boston College Eagles 3-1 (Pre. NR), BC is a factor in the ACC and nobody is talking about them
- Army Black Knights 4-1 (Pre. #21), The most fundamental team in ‘Merica had a rough one against the Citadel.
- Coastal Carolina University Chanticleers 3-0 (Pre. NR), Chanticleer comes from Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. More specifically, he comes from the Nun’s Priest Tale, a story within Canterbury Tales. The Chanticleer is a proud and fierce rooster who dominates the barnyard. Just in case you never see this team again. You learned something today.
- University of Marshall Thundering Herd 3-0 (Pre. NR), Enjoy the rankings, Pac-12, and Big Ten start in a few weeks. So…. this is awkward.
- West Virginia University Mountaineers 2-1 (Pre. 22), I mean, I guess.
- University of Tulsa Golden Hurricanes 1-1 (Pre. NR), You’re here because UCF still thinks they are a premier program. So hang it up in your stadium cause UCF said it.
- Louisiana Rajun Cajuns 3-1 (Pre. #16), Suffered their first loss.
- Auburn University Tigers 2-1 (Pre # 15), Bo Nix isn’t that great or that smart of a QB, Auburn and the refs stole this game from Arkansas.
University of Georgia at University of Alabama- Number 3 Georgia travels to Alabama in this early season SEC clash that has major SEC layers to it. This game will affect many teams.
Boston College at Virginia Tech- A matchup of similarly talented teams. this should make for a close competitive ACC game.
That concludes this week’s Turf Power Rankings. Check into The Turf next week for another NCAA college football Top 25. Enjoy what Saturday football we have because Covid is quickly haulting the game.