Last week was a bit of a dud, as I may have mentioned before, but it did give us a few opportunities to see some things in a different light. The week hampered by covid gave opportunities to some folks who may have had their Heisman beer goggles on just a bit too early.
Players who caught national attention without having to battle Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, or Mac Jones. Players like Kyle Trask, Ian Book, and Zach Wilson took complete advantage of the week without the front runners. Ian Book’s steady improvement coupled with Kyle Trask and Zach Wilson’s consistent domination will definitely muddy the waters of the Heisman voters.
- Alabama Crimson Tide 6-0 (PR #1)- I wanted to drop them below ND but you better have a real reason to drop the Tide.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish 8-0 (PR #2)- The Irish held up well vs Boston College, that seemed to be a potential trap game after their big triumph of the Clemson Tigers
- University of Florida Gators 5-1 (PR #5)-The Gators are well into their soft part of the schedule just as everything starts clicking. Kyle Trask is most likely the front runner in the Heisman race and the team proved they are more than just a Kyle to Kyle connection in their air-raid win against former Gator QB Feleipe Franks.
- Ohio State University Buckeyes 3-0 (PR #3)- OSU was one of many schools that missed a game last week due to Covid. Unfortunately, I can’t believe that they are still the number 3 team without a test, in consequence, they fell one spot. This week will provide that test.
- Clemson University Tigers 7-1 (PR #4)- Your QB is sick and your team didn’t play last week. Don’t fret about my rankings, your team controls its own destiny.
- Texas A&M University Aggies 5-1 (PR #6)- I want to rank them higher because of their undeniable achievement against the Gators but I have this looming feeling they may slip up to Ole Miss.
- University of Cincinnati Bearcats 7-0 (PR #7)- Move over Joe Burrow, this is Bearcat country.
- BYU Cougars 8-0 (PR #8)- Zach Wilson is a Cougars dream through and through.
- University of Miami Hurricanes 7-1 (PR#9)- They were on the road. They were down 11 players to covid, were underdogs to an ACC rival, and trailed most of the game. They still won. As ugly as it was, it was just as impressive. Kudos to the Hurricanes and their coaching. D’Eriq King is also overlooked this season.
- Indiana University Hoosiers 4-0 (PR #10)- The fighting Joe Bidens strike again. This time completing the sweep of Michigan. After beating both the Wolverines and the Spartans in consecutive contests, the Hoosiers taking a Joe-Biden-like approach to the season. However, they face a hard team in Ohio State this week and I’m not so sure they will concede. See what I did there?
- Oklahoma State University Cowboys 5-1 (PR #11)- Big 12’s saving grace. Still not a playoff team.
- Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 7-0 (PR #12)- The Chants have my heart. Boys, my heart is full.
- University of Marshall Thundering Herd 7-0 (PR #13)- Coming off a dominant performance so much that they honored the 1970 Thundering Herd team that lost most of its players due to a plane crash. There were no survivors of the plane crash that was returning from an away game at Eastern Carolina. The only members left of the team were reserve players and injured players who did not make the trip. What a way to honor the 50th year, Marshal has won every game by at least 2 scores this season.
- Liberty University Flames 8-0 (PR #15)- I love this high flying team. It feels as though they could line up against Clemson and not be intimidated in the least bit and truly believe they will win.
- University of Wisconsin Badgers 2-0 (PR NR)- Regardless of how bad you destroy your opponent, I can’t put you in the top 10 without at least some quality opponents.
- Northwestern University Wildcats 4-0 (PR #25)- Off to a good start. 4-0 and you wear it well.
- University of Georgia Bulldogs 4-2 (PR #14)- If they had a QB they could have been the prize jewel of the SEC
- Iowa State University Cyclones 5-2 (PR #17)- The Cyclones are looking to take full advantage of the weak Big 12.
- University of Louisiana Rajun Cajun’s 7-1 (PR #21)- The Cajun’s are Rajun down in the bayou.
- Oklahoma Sooners 5-2 (PR #18)- Spencer Rattler is playing admirably and leading his team back into good graces, despite the 1-2 start to the season.
- Oregon Ducks 2-0 (PR NR)- Unfortunately, you only have 4 games left. Why did yall even play?
- University of Texas Longhorns 5-2 (PR # 19)- Would the family man with health concerns really burn yet another school for the University of Texas? You’d have to ask Urban Meyer himself, although it’s tough to get the truth from him.
- University of North Carolina Tarheels 6-2 (PR NR)- I always want to rank the Tarheels higher but unfortunately they have no defense and are consistently relying on Sam Howell. Sam is receiving accolades but individual awards can not carry this team.
- University of Tulsa Golden Hurricanes 4-1 (PR NR)- Tulsa has a favorable schedule the rest of the way with a perfect AAC record. Their only loss came to Oklahoma State. It’s looking like they have a date with Cincy at the end of the season and that game will be 60 minutes for the rest of their lives.
- Appalachian State University Mountaineers 6-1 (PR #22)- App State doing App State things.
Indiana University Hoosiers 4-0 at Ohio State University Buckeyes 3-0, A make or break for Indiana. Either they pull off a bigger upset than Notre Dame over Clemson, or their season starts to Indiana its way to just above .500. Ohio State looks to prove that their classification is only temporary as they hope to aim for higher rankings.
Oklahoma State University Cowboys 5-1 at University of Oklahoma Sooners 5-2, Keep an eye on this game as it may determine quite a bit within the Big 12. Spencer Rattler is coming around and Chubba Hubbard has been quiet in my opinion. Who will prevail?
Enjoy College Football this week. And be sure to check back next week for the Turf’s Top 25.
- / 4 days ago
The Mets that exist on paper should be above .500 and on top of...