We finally have our first official College Football Playoff Rankings in and just like the AP and Coaches poll, mine are different. Nah Nah Na Na Boo Boo! I actually favor mine but hey, I’m biased. We had some fun last week but no more than Alabama who beat Kentucky 63-3. OSU had a scare also but survived against the Indiana Hoosiers.
This week is crucial to the CFP Rankings and some key matchups could stir the pot. Check below for the Turf’s rankings and the week’s key matchups. Compare my rankings to last week if you’d like.
- Alabama Crimson Tide 7-0 (PR #1)- The Tide are still rolling. They beat the Kentucky Wildcats by 60 pts. They face Auburn this weekend, which will help determine what 2020 has in store for the Iron Bowl.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish 8-0 (PR #2)- Sitting steady on their win over Boston College. Interesting matchup with UNC on Saturday.
- Ohio State University Buckeyes 4-0 (PR #4)- Though the game against the Hoosiers was more close than comfortable, the team showed that they were more of a team than a one man show. Future first rounder Shaun Wade took one to the house while Fields struggled. I was impressed by a team win actually — something Clemson and Florida didn’t show in their losses.
- University of Florida Gators 6-1 (PR #3)- Once this defense realizes they play for the University of Florida they will be the most dominant team. If they don’t realize who they are, they will not be in the playoffs.
- Clemson University Tigers 7-1 (PR #5)- Got ducked by FSU. Dabo is pissed.
- Texas A&M University Aggies 5-1 (PR #6)- If only they beat Bama they could be somebody but I have a feeling this may be the highest they will ever be ranked.
- University of Cincinnati Bearcats 8-0 (PR #7)– I didn’t actually mean move over Joe Burrow when I said this was Bearcat country. You took me too literally.
- BYU Cougars 9-0 (PR #8)- It’s getting to be late in the season and BYU is almost finished. This will be one team you see start to drop when the others are still playing football. Unfortunate situation.
- University of Miami Hurricanes 7-1 (PR#9)- Some are projecting a Canes vs Gators New Years 6 bowl. I like the King vs Trask matchup.
- Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 8-0 (PR #12)- The Chants had a very sturdy win against an always pesky App State team.
- University of Oklahoma Sooners 6-2 (PR #20)- Looking more like the boomer Sooners we are used to.
- University of Marshall Thundering Herd 7-0 (PR #13)- Last I checked they were still beating folks by 40pts or something. Respect.
- Iowa State University Cyclones 6-2 (PR #18)- Big time Big 12 battle in Austin.
- University of Georgia Bulldogs 5-2 (PR #17)- It seems like everyone knew JT Daniels was the best QB on the roster except Kirby “not so” Smart. Speaking of Kirby mishandling… How do you lose 2 games when you have this much talent?
- Indiana University Hoosiers 4-1 (PR #10)- The Hoosiers played a resilient game against the Buckeyes but came up a bit short. However, they made Justin Fields look human.
- University of Oregon Ducks 3-0 (PR #21) – Not much of a resume at the moment. Hopefully, that will change soon.
- University of Texas Longhorns 5-2 (PR # 22)- I really thought the world would be talking more about Sam Ehlinger. Here it is, Senior Day for the Longhorn QB who still has a shot at the Big 12 Championship game.
- University of Southern California Trojans 3-0 (PR NR)– Welcome to the show.
- University of North Carolina Tarheels 6-2 (PR #23) – I have a feeling it’s going to be hard for ND to keep up with Sam Howell and this electric offense.
- Oklahoma State University Cowboys 5-2 (PR #11)- I thought Chuba Hubbard would really take this team far. He hasn’t been terrible by any means. I just had higher expectations for the Cowboys.
- University of Louisiana Rajun Cajuns 7-1 (PR #19)- These guys really ruined Iowa State’s season and I’m here for it.
- Auburn University Tigers 5-2 (PR NR)- Can Auburn shift the College Football Playoffs with a win over Bama?
- University of Iowa Hawkeyes 3-2 (PR NR)- Welcome, I guess.
- University of Tulsa Golden Hurricanes 5-1 (PR #24)- Here at the Turf we like to acknowledge the little guy. Now we have a little guy within a little guy. Tulsa can thank it’s 3rd string QB Davis Brin for this week’s win.
- Liberty University Flames 8-1 (PR #14)- Suffered their first loss by 1 point to a very feisty NC State team. Still on track for a strong finish to the season.
Auburn University Tigers 5-2 at Alabama Crimson Tide 7-0, This is a sleeper…. said no one ever when talking about the Iron Bowl. This game is fueled by pride only. Who wants it more? It does not matter who is suppose to win. If Auburn can channel that pride they will shake up the CFP Rankings for sure.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish 8-0 at University of North Carolina Tarheels 6-2, ND travels to face a dangerous Mac Brown coached team who would love nothing more than to ruin ND’s season. This is one to watch.
Enjoy College Football this week. And be sure to check back next week for the Turf’s Top 25.
- / 3 weeks ago
To me, Rachel Nichols is the personification of posting a black square on Instagram.
- / 4 days ago
Ted Lasso's Leading Lady may have a familiar face but you may not realize...
- / 2 weeks ago
Estimated Reading Time: 6 Minutes Hey! Remember the 2000’s? It was a crazy time!...