Connect with us

NASCAR

NASCAR returns with The Real Heroes 400

Gentlemen, start your engines!

NASCAR by Charles & Hudson is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

NASCAR returns with The Real Heroes 400


Estimated Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Start your engines, folks. NASCAR returns today in South Carolina. Yes, the state that’s putting blow up dolls in restaurants to help maintain social distancing. These are weird times to say the least.

I’m not going to pretend I know anything about NASCAR. I don’t. So I’m going to state some facts about today, then pivot to the only personal NASCAR experience I have.

The Real Heroes 400

We’re off to the races at Darlington Raceway at 3:30 Eastern Time. This will be the first race since March 8th, with everything in between either postponed or canceled, depending on the host track. So, with the Cup season on hold, and no trials to set the starting order, how was the lineup determined? A random drawing was held on FS1’s Race Hub.

Positions 1-12 determined by a random draw from charter teams in those positions in team owner points

13-24: Random draw among charter teams in those positions in owner points

25-36: Random draw among charter teams in those positions in owner points

37-40 will be filled out by open, non-chartered teams in order of owner points

And there you have it. Interested in placing some bets on the race? CBS Sports has you covered.

Will there be fans? No. But I’ll be surprised if people aren’t trying to tailgate and throw back some bud heavies outside the track. Strict rules are in place inside the track.

“Everyone will be required to wear a face mask, crews must maintain social distancing and high-fives, hugs and human contact are barred. NASCAR has warned of fines as high as $50,000 for not following the rules at the track, where competitors are subject to random health screenings”
– KFOX TV

Flirtin’ with Disaster

Now on to my personal experience… I’m having a week of PlayStation nostalgia. I’ve never cared much for NASCAR, but I have to say I had a mini obsession with NASCAR ’98.

Why?

Jeff Gordon was king. I don’t remember much, but I remember that Dupont car. I was him 90% of the time. The other 10% was split between Bobby Labonte and Mark Martin. It makes me laugh today, because I would zone out taking nothing but left turns all the time.

The graphics. I have nothing else to say about them.

Ever hear Molly Hatchet’s Flirtin’ With Disaster? That song is etched into my brain, and I can’t disassociate it from this game. The screaming guitars at the beginning. “I’m travelin’ down the road and I’m flirtin’ with disaster.” It’s gold. GOLD, I say!

I know, I know. This story should be reserved for parties, it’s that good. I can’t remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but when I hear that opening guitar lick I’m sitting back in my new house in 6th grade sitting in front of our beautiful tube television and my beloved PS1.

So, I guess what I’m saying is, watch the race today, but make sure you blast some Molly Hatchet when you do. And remember, if you ain’t first you’re last.

Kevin is an actor, director, playwright, and musician who works in tech and lives in Brooklyn. He is die hard New England sports and an avid Tottenham supporter. His qualifications include scoring 1 point in his elementary school basketball career, 4 years of mixed little league results, and breaking his arm with a skip-it days before pre-season workouts started for Freshman football.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Turf Burns!

Advertisement

Editor’s Picks

Latest Articles